Saturday, January 8, 2011

Splitting my TIME

According to a survey conducted in 2009 by LINC, 66% of artists hold at least one additional job outside of their creative business.  I fit into this statistic.

I typically work at my studio 3 to 4 days a week.  The other days I am a Substitute Teacher.  I spend my non-studio days in elementary schools and high schools, teaching what ever subject is needed for that day.  Some days I am really out of my element, like when I taught a sewing class (I've never sewn anything in my life!). But other days I get to teach children about creative writing, 80s pop culture, or why the movie Titanic isn't exactly 100% historically accurate.

There are also days when the children teach me something.  Often, in the younger grades I am reminded how dreadfully important fairness is or how quickly a friend can become an enemy then a friend again, all within the same hour. In the higher grades I am reminded of how important it is to express yourself and to be heard, understood, accepted or acknowledged. 

These kids inspire me. They bring me back to the innocence and wonderment of childhood. 

While writing this post, I find myself reflecting on the plethora of special moments I've experienced in the classroom.  These moments have sparked me develop a new jewelry line based on the purity and wonderment of childhood.  More to follow......

No comments:

Post a Comment